Every live website is perpetually under construction. That’s just the nature of the medium. I have some ideas for enhancements and changes to my own site, some of which I may even get around to in the near future. Many of them can be accomplished through integrating various WordPress plugins, so it’s just a case of making the time to add them in and test/debug as needed. Here’s a partial list, in no particular order:
- Comment previewing: Been meaning to do this for a while.
- Highlighting my own comments: this seems trendy, and rightfully so. It’s a good idea.
- A “recommended” box and page: To showcase books, movies, music etc, that I like along with short reviews of each, linked to my Amazon Associates ID of course. Again, hardly an original idea but I like it just the same.
- Search term highlighting: for both inbound traffic from engines and results from onsite searches.
- Better 404 handling: My current 404 is just a static page with the full blog template around it, but I’d like to make it a bit lighter and friendlier. Mike’s recent article got me thinking, and I like the idea of automatically conducting a search based on the mistyped url.
- More pictures.
- Improved static pages: I’d like to use the FakedFolders plugin rather than the duplicate php files I’m using now.
- Better code display: I like how Dunstan does it.
- Hot Asian Porn.
Can hardly wait to see the referrer strings on that one.
Sounds like really cool stuff and Hot Asian Porn, you can’t go wrong with that. I just love the details that go into websites. I don’t have the skills to implement things like that, yet, but its only a matter of time. You plan on like writing up on those things when you finish doing them. I would love to get some insights into many of them. Just a thought. :-)
Actually most of the enhancements are really just a matter of implementing a plugin someone else already wrote, then hacking and tweaking my template and css to get it looking right. Check out the WordPress plugins page.
Two things which don’t seem to have current prepackaged plugins are the recommended box and the 404 search. The 404 searching will be based on existing code for MT that I think I can hack for WP. And I’m thinking I can do the recommended box with a hidden category, then a simple function to display a random post from that category in the sidebar. If I get these working I’ll certainly post about it, and perhaps even submit them to the wiki.
It’s amazing how I have been digging around wordpress for a while now and never came across the wiki. Seemed so odd I just checked the wordpress page to see if it is linked to from there and low and behold it is sitting right there. I must be going blind. lol
Comments are closed.